Monday, January 4, 2010

Working Hard

A month later and I see that Eddie stumbled upon my blog. The good news: somebody's reading. The bad news: I'm updating very infrequently and didn't even see the comment until just recently.

So, in an effort to keep me more motivated for the upcoming spring season, I'm going to also get motivated to post more and keep people updated.

My personal goal for this season is to be the best conditioned person on the field. I want to motivate my teammates and outwork my opponents. I want to literally leave Wisconson in a few months knowing that there wasn't anything else I could've done better because I was in the best possible shape. Yes, I will work on my throws, but I've always been just a mid-range thrower. And, yes, I will work on my game and field sense.

But when everything comes together at Nationals, I want to be the best conditioned person on the field. That's my personal goal.

This past month wasn't all that bad in terms of working out. Both the week leading up to and including Finals Week wasn't nearly as busy as others, so I was able to get in at least 3 solid workouts per week. And I even have a gym membership back home, so I was able to workout up until the day after Christmas. But now I'm back in Pittsburgh and today was the first day that a gym opened on campus (Trees for now as the rest will open on Wednesday, I believe).

As senior in my last semester of school, it looks like I will have a very nice schedule for upcoming season: 2 classes on Tuesday and Thursday, 1.5 (the half is a one-hour per week, 3-credit internship class where I just meet and discuss) and an online/Saturday class. With practices on Tuesday and Thursday (and the weekend eventually) that leaves Mondays and Fridays open and enough time to workout Wednesday.

That's good. I'd like to see my day-by-day workout go something like this:

Monday: 1-2 mile run warmup, stretching, hard lower body workout, core/abs
Tuesday: 1 mile run warmup, stretching, shorter shoulder and back workout, core/abs, practice
Wednesday: Track workout
Thursday: 1 mile run warmup, stretching, shorter arms and chest workout, core/abs, practice
Friday: 1-2 mile run warmup, stretching, hard plyo workout, core/abs
Weekend: 2-3 mile runs and stretching, practice (if we have it), rest and recovery

I like the idea of having lower body and leg workouts on Monday and Friday because if we have a tournament, I won't be working out on either of those days, but I figure I'll be getting a leg workout anyways as I play in the tournament.

No comments: